Buying fresh fruit and vegetables from the farmers who grow in this area is one of the pleasures of living here.
Farmers’ markets for fresh fruit and vegetables
- Mondays: Riudellots (8km)
- Tuesdays: Girona (15km)
- Wednesdays: Cassà de la Selva (6km)
- Thursdays: Llagostera (10km)
- Fridays: Girona (15km), La Bisbal (15km)
- Saturdays: Cassà de la Selva, Girona, Palafrugell
- Sundays: Rostisseria Ca La Pilar, Cassa de la Selva, tel 972 46 02 36. Or there’s also Bonpreu supermarket in La Bisbal de l’Empordà (15km).
All markets above have fresh fruit, vegetables, local produce (honey, charcuterie, hot roast chicken, olives …). They start to pack up at 13:30 but one or two stalls are there until about 15:00.
Open on Sundays!
BONPREU supermarket in La Bisbal de l’Empordà (15km) is open 7 days a week 9:15-21:15
- In Cassà: Caprabo and Mercadona 09:15-21:15 Monday-Saturday
- In La Bisbal: Bonpreu 9:15-21:15 Monday-Sunday
- In Girona: Hipercor (15km). A big big supermarket with everything, speciality gourmet foods, huge fresh fish counter, excellent wine selection
Like most shops here, pharmacies are closed at lunchtime and on Sundays. Outside normal shop hours there’s always an emergency pharmacy open somewhere in the area; just look for the sign on the front door that shows which one is open.
Our map above also shows the local CAT Salut health centre in Cassà if you need a doctor and the nearest hospital which is in Girona.
Banks, Post Office
There are 3 banks in Cassà de la Selva, in the main square in the centre of the village.
The photos below come from Nectar (see map), who bake their own bread, cakes, croissants, etc. Enough said. They have been doing it since 1874.
Traditional thing to do on Sundays in Catalunya: buy fresh cakes and take a bottle of cava to visit family.